eBay is often compared to Amazon, even though these two e-commerce giants are very different. If you’re looking for the current and most exciting eBay statistics, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ll talk about stats and facts and answer your burning questions about this online sales titan. Without further ado, let’s get straight to the top 10 facts and stats about eBay.
Top 10 eBay Stats and Facts
- As of April 2021, eBay’s market capitalization is $42.94 billion.
- eBay’s GMV increased 22.1% in 2020.
- eBay had 185 million users worldwide at the end of 2020.
- In 2020, eBay made roughly $10.27 billion in revenue.
- 31% of eBay sellers are from the United States.
- eBay has an average session duration of 8.09 minutes.
- 33.3% of the US mobile users have the eBay mobile app.
- 15% of American eBay sellers come from California.
- eBay had a GMV of $26.6 billion in the last quarter of 2020.
- There are 25 million sellers on eBay.
Global eBay Statistics
From the sky-high market capitalization to its mobile app popularity, eBay is a very relevant and powerful company.
1. As of April 2021, eBay’s market capitalization is $42.94 billion.
People like to compare eBay to Amazon, which has a $1591.78 billion market cap for the same period, but they’re different services. Therefore, comparing the eBay market data with that of Amazon is quite unfair.
Besides Amazon, Booking Holdings and Carvana are the only US companies more profitable than eBay in April 2021.
2. eBay’s market cap for September 2020 was $36.46 billion.
eBay had some of the world’s best market caps in 2020, showing that the eBay trends are no joke. It surpassed Pinterest’s and Rakuten, even though it was far away from the top.
Namely, Amazon topped the list with $1,577.17 billion, while the Chinese mogul Alibaba was right behind with $795.4 billion.
3. eBay’s GMV increased 22.1% in 2020.
(Digital Commerce 360)
According to the eBay stats for the previous year, eBay’s gross merchandise value (GMV) grew by over 22% compared to 2019. It went from $30.74 billion to $37.53 billion.
Coronavirus-wary consumers turned to online shopping, helping eBay boost its growth trajectory.
4. eBay had 185 million users worldwide at the end of 2020.
Furthermore, eBay’s growth rate was 5% higher in comparison to the final quarter of 2019. Also, eBay had about 107 million monthly visitors from the US in December 2019.
In terms of unique user visits, it was second only to Amazon, which had 215 million monthly users at the time.
5. When it comes to employee diversity, eBay’s workforce is 40% female.
The eBay demographics on employee diversity are relatively fair, with 40% of the workforce being female and the remaining 60% male.
As of 2018, 32% of women are in leadership positions while 23% are in tech positions.
6. In 2020, eBay made roughly $10.27 billion in revenue.
Comparatively, eBay statistics on sales reveal the mogul made $8.63 billion in 2019, which was a 0.16% decline compared to 2018. In 2018 it earned $8.65 billion, which was a 12.6% decline compared to 2017.
Luckily, 2020 has seen a significant revenue increase (18.93%).
Although eBay is the last of the top 10 leaders in online income, being on the list is still one of the most remarkable eBay facts.
7. Large-cap e-commerce revenue is expected to rise by 50% between 2019–2021.
However, e-commerce giants such as Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba were projected to gain a lot more revenue in these challenging times.
People buy online more than before, so the eBay statistics for 2021 are looking bright.
For comparison, online travel companies such as Booking.com and Expedia weren’t so lucky. Namely, their revenue is projected to decline by 14%.
eBay Statistics for the US
Although eBay expanded to be one of the major global marketplaces, it’s firmly rooted in the US. Most sellers on eBay and eBay’s mobile app users come from the US, as you’re about to find out.
8. 31% of eBay sellers are from the United States, according to eBay seller statistics.
Knowing that the US is the biggest consumer market in the world, it’s not surprising that Americans seem to be the majority on eBay.
The UK follows closely with about 29% of all eBay sellers. Germany is next with 15%, followed by China at 12%.
Australia holds the fifth spot with 4%, while other countries have far lower eBay sales statistics.
9. eBay has an average session duration of 8.09 minutes.
Amazon wins in this criterion, with a 10-minute average session, while eBay ranks second.
Kohl’s follows with a little over six-minute sessions, while Etsy and The Home Depot are relatively close with over five-minute long sessions.
10. 33.3% of the US mobile users have the eBay mobile app.
Knowing that 88% of Americans spend their mobile internet on apps, those 33.3% sound even more impressive.
The eBay traffic stats are this high because the platform also boasts exceptional customer satisfaction levels.
With over 62.15 million active monthly users, eBay is the third most popular online shopping app in the States, right after Amazon and Walmart.
11. According to online sellers, eBay was the most-popular online marketplace in the US in January 2020.
These eBay sales trends are pretty impressive. eBay’s score was 6.53 out of 10 on an index scale.
The results accounted for four main areas: ease of use, customer service, communication, and profitability.
12. 15% of American eBay sellers come from California.
After California, US states with the highest eBay stats for sellers are Florida and New York, with 8% each.
Texas follows with 6%, and Pennsylvania is close with 5%. Illinois, New Jersey, and Ohio host 4% of the sellers, respectively. Finally, 3% of eBay sellers come from Georgia and Michigan.
Compared to the other industry leaders, eBay fared well, taking the third spot on the list.
Ahead of it, we have retailing giants, such as Walmart at 5.3% of the market share and Amazon with a whopping 38.7%.
eBay did better than some huge companies such as Apple, The Home Depot, Wayfair, Target, Best Buy, etc.
Facts About eBay
Even though eBay has been around since 1995, many people are unaware of its achievements and market caps that are off the charts.
14. eBay was founded as an international C2C e-commerce company.
eBay offers its services as an online marketplace for regular people to make sales, meaning you don’t need to be an official salesman, have a company or a business degree, etc.
eBay was a revolutionary phenomenon for its time. Today it has a lot of competition, but it’s still thriving.
15. Statistics on eBay reveal that as of September 2019, eBay has an estimated $33.5 billion market value.
Even though eBay exists for a long time, it’s consistently ranked as one of the largest US-based e-commerce companies.
eBay’s operations include StubHub ticket trading and Buy It Now shopping services, and they are a part of the eBay sales data.
16. eBay had a GMV of $26.6 billion in the last quarter of 2020.
Also, its revenue for that quarter was $2.9 billion. A whopping 59% of the total revenue came from international operations alone.
The free cash flow eBay generated in this quarter was $715 million.
17. There are 25 million sellers on eBay.
The eBay number of sellers is truly incredible. Additionally, there were over 1.7 billion live listings in 2020.
People completed a large number of eBay sales on mobile devices. A good indicator of that is the total revenue from mobile deals, which was $16.7 billion in 2020.
18. Over 1 million eBay sellers migrated to managed payments in Q4 2020.
The eBay selling trends show that people purchased $419 million worth of shares in Q4 2020, and $110 million was paid in cash dividends.
Also, promoted listings generated over $215 million in revenue in the same quarter.
19. The maximum shipping cost for the majority of items sold on eBay is about $20.
The eBay shipping rates vary a lot, depending on the item and category. The costs go between $20–$50 based on said categories.
However, item categories are not the only thing affecting the shipping. Namely, there’s also the choice of shipping service and many other factors.
It’s worth noting that sellers are expected to calculate the eBay shipping rate themselves using the site’s official tools.
Is selling on eBay worth it in 2020?
The short answer is yes. Selling on eBay is still worth it. The platform has changed a lot since its inception, and the key to staying successful is by following the trends.
The most popular items on eBay are various used goods, car parts, clothing items, etc. However, if you choose the right niche, you will prosper in no time.
Does anyone still use eBay?
According to an official eBay report from the second quarter of 2019, there were 182 million active buyers worldwide that year. Therefore, there are still a lot of people that use eBay regularly.
Does eBay always take 10%?
No, it doesn’t. Although eBay takes 10% for most categories as a final value fee, their cut differs based on the item you’re selling.
Here are the eBay pricing trends for its main categories:
- Most categories have a 10% fee, including music records, automotive tools, parts, accessories, and supplies
- Books, DVDs, and non-record music have a 12% fee
- Music instruments and gear have a 3.5% fee
- Accessories, clothing, and shoes have no fee if the item is $100 or above, while the cheaper items have a 10% fee
How many sellers were on eBay in 2020?
There were approximately 25 million sellers on eBay in 2019. The exact numbers for 2020 and 2021 are still unavailable, but they should be in the ballpark.
Who is eBay’s biggest competitor?
eBay is a true giant when it comes to retail, but it has a couple of big competitors, including:
- Etsy, and
The recent eBay statistics are both fascinating and revealing. And even though many people have discarded the platform as a less favored online marketplace, hopefully, this article has changed your mind.
Most of eBay’s user base comes from the US, but this magnificent e-commerce platform is used worldwide, and it seems to be expanding rather than losing visitors.
eBay is still very prominent, and it seems it will stay that way for years to come.