Have you ever wondered how much the interior design market is worth? Or perhaps how much the average interior designer makes?
Our interior design statistics will reveal everything you wanted to know about this popular industry and more.
So, if you are ready to discover what’s new and trendy in the industry, keep on reading.
Top 10 Interior Design Statistics for 2021
- In 2020, the worldwide interior design market was worth $150.7 billion.
- The US interior design industry market was worth $40.7 billion in 2020.
- In 2015–2020, the average industry growth in Canada was 2%.
- The average interior designer is 43, facts about interior design show.
- In 2020, 86% of interior designers in the US were Caucasian.
- On average, an interior designer stays at their job for up to 2 years.
- Currently, there are only 40 registered interior designers in Alaska.
- Men in the interior design profession in the US made $49,617 in 2020.
- Employment is forecasted to decline by 5% during 2019-2029.
- Most interior designers are employed in California (8,130).
Interior Design Industry Statistics
Let’s see the most recent global statistics on the interior design industry.
1. According to interior design statistics, the worldwide interior design services market was worth $150.7 billion in 2020.
(Globe Newswire, Allied Market Research)
According to sources, by 2027, this global market is projected to hit a whopping $255.4 billion. Moreover, the international interior design services market will increase at a 7.8% CAGR in 2020-2027.
In comparison, the global home decor industry in 2019 was worth $616.6 billion, as the latest statistics on home decor reveal.
2. Interior design statistics from 2020 reveal that the interior design services industry in the US was worth around $40.7 billion.
Additionally, the planet’s second-biggest economy, China, is projected to hit a market size of an impressive $57.6 billion by 2027, growing at an 11.9% CAGR between 2020 and 2027.
Canada and Japan are also important markets for interior design services. Each is projected to increase at a 7% and 4.2% CAGR over the forecast period, as stats on the global interior design market size show.
Europe is another important country, with Germany’s market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 5.1%.
3. In 2020, Europe, China, Canada, Japan, and the US accounted for a total interior design services market size of $11.3 billion.
It may sound incredible, but these regional markets are forecasted to reach $17.8 billion by 2027. Among these markets, China is likely to continue growing the most rapidly.
Also worth mentioning is the growing market in Asia-Pacific projected to hit a shocking $35.3 billion by 2027, interior design stats reveal.
4. The international interior design services market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of over 4%.
According to recent data, the global market for interior design services is forecasted to increase by $24.13 billion during 2021–2025.
Furthermore, interior design statistics show that 35% of the market growth will originate from the APAC region.
5. Currently, Jacobs Engineering Group Inc, Stantec Inc, and AECOM are among the leading industry players in the interior design market.
(Market Research Store)
Other vital players in the market include NELSON & Associates Interior Design and Space Planning Inc, HOK Group Inc, Cannon Design, Skidmore, and Leo A Daly, interior design facts show.
According to report findings, the market players have strategically modified their business plans due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
6. Interior design industry statistics for Canada show the average industry growth for the 2015–2020 period was 2%.
In total, the interior designers market in Canada is worth $1 billion, and the country has 7,572 businesses of this type. As for workers, the research registered 6,135 industry employees.
7. From 2017 to 2018, industry revenue in the UK was expected to grow at a compound annual rate of 11.2%.
Interior design industry statistics for the UK reveal that the UK industry’s growth has been aided by the rapid growth of mobile devices and internet usage and new payment and advertising methods.
Furthermore, increased real estate sales also boosted industry demand.
Interior Design Demographics
Here are some interesting stats and facts about the people of the interior design industry — their age, gender, habits, and plans.
8. The average interior designer is 43 years old.
Moreover, according to facts on gender in interior design and statistics about interior designers in the United States, there were 42,897 workers in the industry in 2020.
Among these workers, only 22.4% were men, while 72.7% were women.
9. In 2020, 86% of interior designers in the US were Caucasian.
The most widespread ethnicity or race among interior designers in the United States in 2020 was Caucasian, interesting facts about the interior designing reveal.
For the sake of comparison, 4.1% were Asian, and 7.4% were Latino or Hispanic. African Americans made up 1.2% of the workforce, while 0.1% identified as Alaska Native or American Indian.
As a side note, these statistics were derived from an analysis of the resumes of 18,375 interior designers.
10. According to interior design trends from 2020, 40.6% of interior designers spoke Spanish.
Many interior designers chose Spanish as their foreign language, while 13.5% spoke French and 7.2% conversed in Italian.
Other popular foreign languages among interior designers included Arabic (5.2%) and Chinese (5.3%).
11. On average, an interior designer stays at their job for up to 2 years (33%), as interior design industry trends show.
Data that analyzed the resumes of 18,375 interior designers revealed that most professionals stay at their job for up to 2 years, while around 16% remain for less than a year.
Similarly, 16% of workers remain at their jobs for 3–4 years.
12. On average, men in the interior design profession in the US made $49,617 in 2020.
(Zippia, Career Explorer, Pew Research)
Comparably, interior design career facts show that women made just slightly less — $49,366. Based on recent facts, an interior designer’s average salary in the United States totals $53k per year.
For the sake of comparison, the average income for millennials (with a college degree or less) was $36,000 in 2018.
13. Interior design profession facts show that interior designers earn the most in Wyoming, Nevada, and Maryland.
In Wyoming, an average interior designer makes over $65k yearly. In comparison, in Indiana, a professional can make $37,000–41,000.
14. Most interior designers are employed in California (8,130).
According to recent data on interior designers in the United States, Florida follows with 4,380 interior designers.
Up next is Texas with 4,160, New York with 3,990, and Illinois with 2,380 professionals in the industry.
15. Stats on the interior design employment rate show that employment is forecasted to decline by 5% during 2019-2029.
Although interior designers’ demand is growing, the opportunities for independent interior designers to revamp commercial facilities or existing homes are limited.
As for job prospects, these are typically better in high-income regions.
Interior Design Facts You Should Know
Finally, we present some of the most interesting facts on the interior design industry you may or may not already know. Whatever the case may be, you’ll definitely learn something new.
16. The Ancient Greeks and the Ancient Egyptians were among the first people to decorate interior spaces with precious artifacts.
Like the Romans, the Greeks adopted a style with minimal furniture, arches, and mosaic tiles, interior design interesting facts noted.
As for Egyptians, they were known for interring the dead with gold, chests, and other precious items.
The earliest interior design trends were also observed in the Roman Empire (murals) and the Islamic Golden Age (pillars and columns).
17. Currently, there are only 40 registered interior designers in Alaska, fun facts about interior design show.
Hawaii, Vermont, and Puerto Rico are also on the bottom of the list with a mere 90, 80, 70 registered interior designers, respectively.
On the other hand, California, Florida, and Texas are at the top of the list with 8,130, 4,380, and 4,160 interior designers, respectively.
18. For years, one of the highest-ranking white paints is Benjamin Moore’s White Dove OC-17, interior design market trends claim.
If you are looking to add a sense of peace to your home color palette, we suggest checking out Benjamin Moore’s White Dove OC-17.
According to experts, versatility is one of this color’s main benefits — it goes well with cabinetry, walls, and virtually any other part of your home.
19. Interior design fun facts note that the most costly rug ever sold at an auction is a stunning Antique Persian Carpet.
A Sotheby’s auction in NYC sold the expensive Persian carpet for nearly $34 million. Experts believe the rug is of Kerman origin and that it once belonged to the Clark Collection.
Some of the most expensive rugs ever sold include:
- the $4.4 million Louis XV Savonnerie carpet
- the $7.7 million Vanderbilt Mughal Millefleurs Star-Lattice carpet, and
- the $9.6 million Comtesse de Behague Vase carpet
20. Fun facts of interior design suggest painting the walls of your office blue to increase focus and productivity.
(CDI Spaces, Design Buddy)
Colors have the power to influence our mood, our thoughts, and even our productivity levels. According to experts, if you decorate your office with the color blue, you can increase focus and decrease mental strain.
Whereas, if you need extra motivation in your workplace, office interior design trends reveal you should opt for red since it represents excitement and courage. If it’s creativity that you lack, choose yellow.
Funny enough, interesting statistics on color use note that 33% of all logos are colored blue!
How much is the interior design industry worth?
The worldwide interior design services industry is projected to hit $255.4 billion by 2027. Last year, during the coronavirus pandemic, the industry’s global market was valued at around $150.7 billion.
What industry is interior design in?
In a nutshell, the interior design industry consists of companies specializing in designing, planning, and project management in a wide range of indoor spaces.
Interior designers design, plan, and furnish indoor areas of buildings or rooms to make them more aesthetic and practical.
How competitive is the interior design industry?
The interior design industry is very competitive. According to the latest data, there are around 66,500 interior designers in the US.
Furthermore, the interior designers’ job market is projected to increase by 4.5% from 2016 to 2026.
Is the interior design industry growing?
Yes! The international interior design services market is projected to increase by $24.13 billion between 2021 and 2025. In other words, the market is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of more than 4%.
What are the 7 elements of interior design?
The seven key elements that tie a room together include:
Balance all these elements, and a simple room can become an inspiring workspace, comforting bedroom, or zen space.
The Bottom Line
All in all, the world of interior design is about unleashing your creativity in a controlled environment.
Based on these interior design statistics, we can conclude that this is a profitable sector that will grow in the upcoming years.
If you enjoyed this article, feel free to share it with friends or family members — they might learn something new and interesting too!