When it comes to gift industry statistics, most of us can agree on one thing—we truly enjoy receiving and giving gifts. Even the most frugal among us has a soft spot for this time-honored tradition.
We’ve gathered some of the latest stats about shopping, spending, and the gift industry as a whole to inform you about the global market.
So, get ready to learn just how big the gift industry is and how the US fits into the equation.
Top 10 Gift Industry Stats
- Global gift retail market value was $62 billion in 2019.
- With $22,089.51, gift shops had the lowest monthly revenue in 2018.
- Global gift wrapping products industry’s value was $15.1 bn in 2018.
- Global personalized gifts industry’s value was $25.8 bn in 2020.
- Global gift cards market had a value of $619.25 billion in 2019.
- Gift industry trends show Hallmark Cards had $4 bn revenue in 2019.
- In 2019, Americans planned on spending $942 on Christmas gifts.
- US consumers planned on spending $650 on Christmas gifts in 2020.
- The US Gift Shop & Card stores industry’s revenue is $18 billion.
- The US food gifting industry should reach $26.15 billion by 2024.
Gift Industry Statistics for 2022
Let’s kick things off with a couple of stats and facts that showcase just how significant this industry really is.
1. The global gift retail market value was $62 billion in 2019.
Market figures show that this number will grow at a steady rate of 2% annually, meaning that it could reach $68.45 billion by 2024.
2. With $22,089.51, gift shops had the lowest monthly revenue in 2018.
(Vends Retail Benchmark Guide 2019)
Gift industry statistics show that gift shops, office supplies, and stationery had the lowest monthly revenue in 2018.
For comparison, alcoholic beverages, furniture, and vape stores brought in the most revenue.
3. The global gift wrapping products industry’s value was $15.1 billion in 2018.
(Grand View Research)
Gift wrap industry statistics also reveal that paperboard and paper had the largest market share in 2018, mainly due to the banning of many plastics and the popularity of biodegradable paper.
4. The global personalized gifts industry’s projected value was $25.8 billion in 2020.
The personalized gift industry is booming!
In 2019 this segment brought in around $20 million in revenue. Furthermore, personalized gift industry statistics forecast that its market value will reach $43.3 billion by 2027, with a respectable CAGR of 7.7%.
5. The global gift cards market had a value of $619.25 billion in 2019.
(Allied Market Research)
With more people receiving discounts to purchase cards online and the limited use of cash payments because of the global pandemic, the demand for gift cards continued to grow in 2020.
Moreover, by 2027, gift card industry stats estimate the total market value of gift cards will be over $2 billion.
6. Hallmark Cards had $4 billion of total revenue in 2019.
The company is one of the oldest of its kind, founded in 1910. It currently has around 30,000 employees and sells greeting cards, art supplies, and stationery to retail outlets in 100 different countries.
Gift Shopping Industry Trends
Gift industry has been following people’s shopping habits and preferences for years. Let’s see how the industry has changed and what the demographics say.
7. Four out of five people in the UK shopped in-store for gifts in 2017.
(Business Gateway, eMarketer)
Gift shop industry statistics show that around 82% of consumers still visited stores to buy gifts in 2017.
The new holiday shopping trends caused by the pandemic, contributed to a 16.7% rise in e-commerce sales, accounting for 32.2% of all UK holiday shopping.
8. In 2019, Americans planned on spending an average of $942 on Christmas gifts.
That same year, 37% planned to spend over $1,000 on gifts, and 21% planned to spend somewhere between $500 and $999.
A reasonable 27% claimed that their budget was in the $100 to $499 range.
9. People in the US spend $72 billion on weddings every year.
Additionally, wedding gift industry statistics revealed that in 2018, people spent $19 billion on purchasing registered wedding gifts.
The most popular items included: dinnerware place settings, cookware sets, and standing mixers.
10. 12% of UK consumers make Christmas purchases before September.
Although December is still the most dominant month for Christmas shopping, more and more people choose to purchase gifts in November due to the rising popularity of Black Friday sales.
Furthermore, according to the gift industry statistics for the UK, 32% of shoppers buy their Christmas presents in November while 47% still get their Christmas shopping done in December.
11. US consumers planned on spending $650 on Christmas gifts in 2020.
(Alliant Credit Union)
Experts estimated that the average planned Christmas shopping budget in 2020 was $997.79.
Based on the consumer spending trends they observed in previous years, they divided the spending in three categories:
- Gifts for family, friends, and coworkers — with the estimated budget of $650
- Non-gift holiday purchases (food, decoration, greeting cards) — with the estimated budget of $230
- Other non-gift purchases (for themselves and their families) — with the estimated budget of $117
12. 48% of US consumers do their Christmas shopping before December.
According to Christmas gift industry trends from 2020, of those surveyed, 20% started shopping in early December, while 3% did their last-minute shopping on Christmas Eve. Only 6% claimed not to have bought presents.
Gift Industry Statistics for the US
So far, we’ve seen that besides getting gifts, people also love buying them. Stats show that Maryland has the highest holiday spending, but how much does the industry earn from our need to make our loved ones happy? The latest US industry stats will show!
12. The US Gift Shop & Card stores industry’s revenue is $18 billion.
Gift card industry trends show that by the end of 2021, the entire industry was expected to experience an increase of 9.7%.
The 2021 rebound came after a 12.8% decline in 2020 following the restrictions and uncertainty produced by the global pandemic.
13. Valentine’s Day spending in the US will reach over $20 billion.
Gift industry statistics from earlier this year showed that jewelry was the most preferred item to receive this season.
Moreover, 66% of men buy gifts for this romantic holiday, with nearly 40% planning to do so via Amazon.
By comparison, 60% of women planned on buying a Valentine’s Day gift, with 35% claiming that they will also shop with Amazon.
15. US gift card industry statistics showed a market value of around $278.8 billion in 2020.
The US accounts for a respectable 26.95% share in the global gift card market.
The Chinese market is also growing exponentially and showing a projected CAGR of 18.9% for the period of 2020–2027.
16. The US food gifting industry is expected to reach $26.15 billion by 2024.
At the beginning of the pandemic, gift basket industry statistics showed promising figures for the industry. Experts predicted a steady, 4.2% compound annual growth rate for the entire market.
How big is the gifting industry?
When looking at the numbers, data shows that the entire gift retail market’s estimated worth was $62 billion in 2019.
Experts predict that the market will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of around 2%, propelling the industry to $68.45 billion by 2024.
How much is the gift industry worth?
The total global gift market is estimated to be worth roughly $62 billion and will likely continue to grow in the coming years.
However, it’s also important to note how different industry segments perform. For instance, the personalized gifts industry will likely reach $43.3 billion by 2027.
How much do gift shops make a year?
According to data, from 2018, gift shops made around $22,089.51 each month.
Based on this data, the average yearly revenue of a gift shop could be as much as $265,074.12.
What were the most popular gifts of 2020?
There are many opinions out there regarding what was the trendiest gift for 2020.
We’ve compiled a shortlist of desirable items that will correspond to these categories: home appliances, kitchen appliances, wellness, tech-savvy, and children’s toys.
According to the latest gift industry trends:
- iRobot Roomba 960
- Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
- Fitbit Versa 3
- Apple Watch Series 6, and
- Barbie Dreamhouse Dollhouse
were some of the most sought-after Christmas gifts in 2020.
Which country spends most on holiday gifts?
Gift shopping industry trends show that Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US on average spend around $1,000 during the holiday season.
The latter two countries spend on average about $1,300, while Canada and Australia spend a little below $1,000 per year.
If they’re among the younger generations, they’ve probably managed to influence the latest millennial spending stats as well.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, the global gift industry seems to be growing steadily, doing so even in the face of a worldwide pandemic.
In the end, what keeps the whole thing going are people like us trying to bring joy to our friends in the form of gifts.
And as these gift industry statistics sometimes point out, the presents we give don’t have to be anything luxurious.
Sometimes a simple card is enough to show that we care.