Etsy is the booming global marketplace for exceptional and rare items. You can find anything from one-of-a-kind handcrafted goods to antique objects.
Since its success is becoming more and more noticeable, we decided to compile a list of Etsy statistics to bear in mind.
Hopefully, by the end of this article, you will have a clearer understanding of how Etsy operates, who the sellers and buyers are, what the figures show about its products, and much more.
So, let’s begin.
Top 10 Etsy Statistics for 2021
- Etsy reported $1.7 billion in sales in 2020.
- The popularity of black-owned Etsy shops rose by 2,968% in June 2020.
- Etsy sales statistics reveal it had a $349.25 million net income in 2020.
- Etsy made $1.15 billion from the United States in 2020.
- Etsy user statistics show there are currently 86.53 million active users.
- Etsy has merchants in 234 countries, according to Etsy shop statistics.
- Etsy invested $500.76 million in marketing in 2020.
- There were 4.1 million active Etsy sellers in 2020.
- Etsy shopper demographics show over 80% of Etsy sellers are women.
- 97% of sellers run shops from home.
Etsy Shop Stats
Etsy is a place where you can find everything you need and more. Year after year, the site is gaining more popularity and users, and the latest data shows some interesting stats.
1. Etsy reported $1.7 billion in sales in 2020.
Without a doubt, the popularity of ecommerce has been rising year over year.
While the finances of certain companies plummeted in the coronavirus pandemic, Etsy’s was flourishing. According to Etsy statistics for 2020, this figure represented an increase of more than 100% over the previous year.
Additionally, the company’s revenue was forecast to grow at a 22% CAGR between 2019 and 2021.
2. Etsy had a $349.25 million net income in 2020.
(Statista, WSJ Markets)
Compared to the previous year, this number is more than impressive. The yearly net income for 2019 totaled $95.89 million, while in 2018, it was $77.49 million.
In percentages, this equals a net income growth of 264.20% in 2020 compared to the year before.
3. Etsy stats reveal that the popularity of black-owned Etsy shops rose by 2,968% in June 2020.
(2020 Etsy Financial Results, New York Times)
It’s no surprise that the demand for these shops increased tremendously in June 2020, after the BLM movement peaked with around half a million protesters.
To support black sellers’ talents, many buyers searched for black-owned jewelry and clothing shops.
4. There are currently 86.53 million active users on the website, Etsy statistics note.
When the total number of active sellers and buyers is combined, the figure for 2021 comes out to a colossal 86.53 million. Interestingly, there are currently 3.14 million active sellers on the website.
5. “Personalized gift” was the top search term and one of the most popular Etsy trends in 2020.
(2020 Financial Results, 2019 Etsy Annual Report)
Overall, most buyers on Etsy searched for unique custom-made pieces for loved ones or as a gift for themselves.
We looked at statistics for the 2019–2020 period — the top retail categories were home furnishings and homewares, personal accessories and jewelry, and apparel.
6. 61% of Etsy sales in 2020 came from mobile devices.
Etsy user statistics show that the mobile share of Etsy sales have dramatically gone up since the website’s early days when only 30% of Etsy’s annual merchandise sales came from mobile.
The mobile sales share reached 51% in 2017 and continued growing to 58% in 2019.
7. The website made $1.15 billion from the United States in 2020, Etsy revenue stats show.
As for the United Kingdom, the revenue totaled $195.83 million, while the other countries brought in $379.07 million combined that same year.
8. Etsy company statistics note that Etsy invested $500.76 million in marketing in 2020.
According to the latest data, Etsy spent another $180.08 million on product development and an additional $156.04 million on administrative and general expenses.
Etsy Seller Statistics
Etsy sellers come from all corners of the world, and most run their businesses from home. Here’s what you need to know about them.
9. There were 4.1 million active Etsy sellers in 2020.
(2020 Etsy Financial Results)
Based on Etsy seller stats, in 2019, 2.5 million people belonged to the seller community, which nearly doubled the following year.
Moreover, the TTM (trailing twelve months) GMS per seller increased too, totaling $2,281 in 2020, compared to $1,865 in the year before.
10. Over 80% of Etsy sellers are women, according to Etsy seller demographics data.
Millions of women have left the workforce due to the coronavirus pandemic, and in comes Etsy as a solution for added income during these difficult times.
According to Etsy CEO Josh Silverman, 65% of their sellers launched an Etsy shop to earn an added income.
11. 97% of sellers run shops from home, Etsy selling trends data shows.
Interestingly, 55% of these merchants are multi-channel sellers. This means that customers can purchase their products in different ways.
12. Etsy has merchants in 234 countries.
According to Etsy statistics, the countries with the most significant numbers of sellers include the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia.
Unsurprisingly, the US tops off the list with over 588 thousand shops and over 400 thousand sales from the top four shops.
13. Statistics on Etsy demographics show that 56% of Etsy sellers are graduates.
According to the same report, an estimated 39% of merchants on Etsy come from rural areas. Moreover, data reveals that a typical seller’s average household income is around $56,180.
Etsy Buyer Demographics
We know that online shopping has become even more popular since the coronavirus outbreak, but let’s see the most essential 2020 stats on Etsy buyers.
14. In 2020, there were 81 million active buyers on Etsy.
(2020 Financial Results)
Believe it or not, 96% of American adults shop via the internet at least once a month.
According to Etsy buyer demographics from 2020, the number of active buyers on Etsy increased by 77% since the previous year.
Data shows that people most frequently searched for:
- Hanging shelves
- Cotton face masks
- Hand sanitizers
- Garden boxes
- Bridal face masks
- Pet supplies
- Personalized gifts
- Boho jewelry
- Measuring spoons, and
- Hot chocolate bombs
Knowing just how much Americans love spending, these statistics don’t surprise us.
15. The typical Etsy customer in 2020 was a female between the ages of 18–35.
Etsy customer demographics from 2017 revealed that a surprising 81% of Etsy buyers were women, and a mere 19% were men.
Of the high percentage of women, 15% were younger than 25, while most were between 25 and 40.
We should note that TechPenny based their estimate of what a typical Etsy customer looked like in 2020 on statistics from 2017. Not much has changed since then when it comes to the makeup of the site’s audience.
16. 50% of shoppers claimed that they might abandon an item if the shipping price is too high, Etsy abandoned cart info stats show.
According to a survey from 2018, half of the buyers on Etsy will likely abandon their shopping carts if the shipping fees are too high.
Etsy sellers keep in mind that the price of shipping can also be a significant factor in the website’s search ranking.
Etsy Products Statistics
Did you know that Etsy sells millions of products? Here are essential product stats we bet you didn’t know!
17. In 2019, Etsy had over 60 million goods listed for sale, as Etsy sales stats show.
No wonder you can get lost on Etsy for hours and hours searching for products — the choices are virtually endless!
Buyers can choose from around 43 various product categories, from cosmetics to wedding decor.
According to interesting Etsy stats from 2020, the art and collectibles product category followed in popularity with 21% of seller share.
Other top categories included jewelry (15%), clothing (11%), and accessories (8%).
19. The $268,364 Teapunk Snail was the most expensive handmade item on Etsy in 2014, Etsy facts note.
Other costly objects included a Wall Street Journal-inspired art piece worth $267,599 and a Free Bird sculpture worth $250,000.
How much does the average person make on Etsy?
Earnings can go as low as a couple of dollars to $10,000. Of course, it depends mainly on the product you’re selling.
Even though fairy tales of incredibly high Etsy earnings are common, achieving that level isn’t easy and doesn’t happen often.
What sells the most on Etsy?
Some of the best-selling items include:
- Supplies and crafts
- Handmade items — clay items, handmade wooden pieces
- Jewelry and ornaments
- Wedding stuff
- Fashionable accessories — such as scarves, hats, and gloves
- Custom clothing
- Party supplies — cards, paper straws, and
- Home products — candles
How many sellers are there on Etsy?
In 2020, there were 4.1 million sellers on Etsy. This figure represented a significant increase from previous years. There were 2.69 million sellers in 2019, while in 2018, the number was 2.1 million.
Compared to 2012, we can conclude that Etsy has come a long way. Believe it or not, but the number of sellers that year was “only” 830,000.
How many active users does Etsy have?
Judging by the latest statistics for 2021, there are currently 86.53 million users on Etsy.
On the other hand, there were around 81.9 million active buyers on Etsy in 2020.
As for statistics from 2019, they reveal that the Reverb and Etsy marketplaces brought together 46.4 million active purchasers and 2.7 million active sellers.
What countries use Etsy the most?
The United States uses Etsy the most, followed by the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and France.
Based on the number of Etsy sellers in 2018, the US had 588,778 shops, while the UK had 80,665, and Canada had 43,141.
Etsy is an excellent opportunity for small business owners to expand their shops and for future entrepreneurs to earn a decent living.
Moreover, customers have the chance to find some of the most unique, beautiful, or even bizarre items sold only on Etsy. Hopefully, these Etsy statistics will inspire you to try your luck with the website.
- 2019 Etsy Annual Report
- 2020 Etsy Financial Results
- CNN Business
- Digital Commerce 360
- Ecommerce Next
- Etsy Investor Relations
- Etsy Investor Relations
- New York Times
- Saas Scout
- Small Business Trends
- Venture Beat
- WSJ Markets