Why hire someone to complete a project when you can do it yourself? With this in mind, we bring you the latest DIY statistics to consider in 2021.
In this article, we offer the hottest statistics and trends on the DIY industry and home decoration, as well as the world of arts and crafts. Hopefully, you’ll find these figures insightful and helpful.
So, if this sounds thrilling, then buckle your seatbelts and let’s begin.
Top 10 DIY Statistics for 2021
- Global home improvement market was worth over $735 billion in 2019.
- Europe and North America DIY markets totaled $640 billion in 2019.
- Top biggest DIY retailers in 2019 were Lowe’s and Home Depot.
- In 2020, Germany’s DIY sector’s ecommerce revenue totaled $5.1 bn.
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing DIY home improvement market.
- Global arts and craft industry is forecast to hit $50.9 billion by 2024.
- For each home improvement project, 67% of DIYers make a budget.
- 26% of DIYers are between the ages of 31–40, DIY stats show.
- 90% of DIYers watch how-to videos on YouTube while DIYing.
- The world’s leading online marketplace for handcrafts is Etsy.
Global DIY Statistics
In the upcoming section, we’ll discuss the most significant stats and facts around the world. In a nutshell, you will find data about the market value and current trends worldwide.
1. The global home improvement/DIY market was worth €618 (over $735) billion in 2019.
You may be asking yourself, how much is the DIY market worth?
Surprisingly enough, this represented an increase of 4.22% from 2018, when the total value was €593 billion (over $705 billion).
Moreover, Europe and North America together represent around 86.6% of this market share.
2. In 2019, 41.8% of Canadian survey respondents claimed that Home Depot was their number one DIY retailer.
As a side note, these DIY consumer statistics were derived from a survey that analyzed the answers of 6,850 Canadians.
Believe it or not, there were a total of 182 Home Depot stores around the country in February 2020 (most found in Ontario).
3. Europe’s and North America’s DIY markets totaled €535 billion (or over $640 billion) in 2019, DIY market trends revealed.
This figure represented a 3.68% growth from the previous year when the total was €516 billion ($620 billion).
It is also interesting to note that Europe and North America reached 28% and 58% of the global market, respectively.
4. In 2020, in Germany, the DIY sector’s ecommerce revenue totaled nearly €4.3 billion (or over $5.1 billion).
Germany is one of the biggest markets for the DIY industry in Europe, according to the latest DIY facts.
In 2019, Germany’s favorite DIY retailers were OBI (29% of survey respondents answered so), followed by Bauhaus and Hornbach.
5. In 2019, an estimated 81% of the worldwide DIY market (over $596.34 billion DIY market size) was centered in eight countries.
More specifically, the USA, Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, France, Italy, and Japan are the leaders in the global DIY market.
Furthermore, the United Kingdom, France, and Germany (or the three biggest DIY markets in the EU) represented half of Europe’s market.
6. In 2019, the top biggest DIY retailers globally were Lowe’s and Home Depot, as the DIY trends displayed.
Other giants among DIY retailers globally included Adeo (France), Kingfisher (UK), Bunnings (Australia), Menards (USA), Bauhaus (Germany), OBI (Germany), Sodimac (Chile), and Ace Hardware (USA).
In fact, Lowe’s and Home Depot had a combined market share of 26.3% of the global market.
7. In 2019, the DIY market in France grew by 3.4% to a total of €28 billion (over $33.3 billion).
Compared to the DIY industry statistics from 2018, when the increase stood at only 0.4%, these 2019 stats were hopeful.
According to available sources, the rise also continued into the first two months of 2020 but then stalled because of the pandemic.
8. Asia-Pacific is considered the fastest-growing DIY home improvement market, facts about DIY note.
On the other hand, the largest market for this sector is North America.
Based on the latest estimations, the DIY market in the Asia-Pacific region is projected to grow at a 4.1% CAGR by 2027. By then, it is expected to generate a revenue of over $85 million.
One of the main factors for this incredible surge is the growing urbanization among Asia-Pacific countries (especially countries like India, Australia, Japan, and China).
Crafting Industry Statistics
You may think to yourself: What does the crafting industry have to do with DIY? Here’s the answer — plenty.
For starters, crafting is the skill of creating things, chiefly with your hands. So, let’s see what the figures show.
9. The worldwide arts and crafts market size was forecast to grow at a CAGR of 3.9% during the 2021–2026 period.
The biggest producers in the Arts and Crafts Market Report included Faber-Castell, Pentel, Pilot-Pen, and Paper Mate.
Based on this global report, the arts and crafts market was estimated to be worth $41 billion in 2020.
10. The global arts and craft industry is forecast to hit $50.9 billion by 2024, DIY craft industry statistics show.
These statistics from 2018 analyzed the global arts and crafts market value from 2017 to 2024. In 2017, the worldwide market for this industry was valued at around $35 billion.
11. 10.3% was the average growth of the US online hobby and craft supplies industry between 2015–2020.
Based on hobby industry statistics, the online hobby and craft supplies market size in the US was $15 billion. Moreover, the industry had 7,795 businesses and 17,177 workers in 2020.
12. In 2018, crafts contributed £3.4 billion (over $4.7 billion) to the United Kingdom economy.
(The Creative Industries)
In the UK, there were an estimated 10,000 crafts jobs in the creative industries and 88,000 crafts jobs outside of the creative industries in 2018.
The same year, there were around 11,620 crafts businesses in the UK with 149,510 workers.
13. UK craft and hobby industry statistics from 2018 show that around four-fifths of workers in the industry were men.
Around 40% of these workers were over 50. Interestingly, crafts workers are more likely to be women if they are self-employed and work part-time.
14. 88% of UK craft businesses in 2018 were sole traders.
(The Creative Industries)
These DIY statistics also reveal that 16 years is the average length of time a crafting business in the UK has been trading.
Fascinatingly, more than 60% of creators have a first or second degree in design, art, or craft.
DIY Consumer Demographics
So, who are these DIYers? What are their habits? Are people of all ages equally interested in undertaking projects of this kind? Let’s find out.
15. For each home improvement project, 67% of DIYers make a budget.
Home improvement can be costly. However, upgrading your home can be a good investment.
Overall, a sizable portion of DIYers were willing to spend a lot of money, and they claim they typically stick to the budget they’ve set.
One of the interesting stats about projects and renovations undertaken by the surveyed DIYers is that 42% of them planned to spend between $2,500 and $10,000.
16. 26% of DIYers are between the ages of 31–40.
Overall, the DIY statistics for 2020 revealed that people of all ages DIY. Namely, 24% belonged to the 21–30 age group, 19% were 51–60, while 16% were 61–70.
What we can conclude from these numbers is that the DIY world is not only for the young.
17. 71% of DIYers choose quality over cost.
Americans may be the biggest consumers in the world, but they pay close attention to what they’re spending on.
One of the primary reasons people decide to DIY is to spend more money on the product and less on human resources.
Moreover, 56% claimed that reliability and durability are the main features of quality materials, DIY consumer trends for 2020 showed.
18. 90% of DIYers watch YouTube how-to videos when working on a project.
On the other hand, 41% of DIYers go to Pinterest to find DIY project ideas.
Interestingly, 78% of do-it-yourself-ers find inspiration online, while 11% are inspired in-store, and another 11% via word-of-mouth.
Interesting Facts About DIY
Last but not least, we’ll present you with some interesting facts about the world of DIY that might very well keep you from getting hurt while immersed in a project. Enjoy!
19. Falling off a ladder is among the most common DIY accidents.
According to reports, DIYers’ most frequent injuries during home repairs are wounds from sharp instruments and falling off ladders.
Other common DIY accidents include:
- chemical burns
- electrical wire shock, and
- trauma from carrying heavy items
20. People are turning to small DIY projects to relieve tension, DIY industry trends suggest.
(The Spruce Crafts)
Let’s admit — crafting can be a perfect way to get through a difficult time. Also, it can be a great way to unwind after a long day at work.
Whatever the case may be, stitching, embroidery, origami, and crocheting are excellent for alleviating anxiety and tension in the body.
21. The world’s leading online marketplace for handcrafts is Etsy.
(The Balance Small Business, Wunderlabel)
According to craft trends for 2020, Etsy is the number one buyer and seller of handcrafted products where crafters have an excellent chance of starting profitable business projects.
Other popular ecommerce marketplaces for handmade products are Facebook Shop, Facebook Store, and Amazon Handmade.
How big is the DIY market?
The global home improvement and do-it-yourself market was estimated to be worth over $735 billion in 2019.
As mentioned, this figure represented a 4.22% boost from the previous year, when the number stood at over $705 billion.
What are some fun DIY projects?
Looking for some creative inspiration? Fret not, here are the trendiest DIYs for this spring and summer season. Keep in mind, some are more challenging than others! These are:
- Building a DIY nightstand from an old suitcase
- Creating your personal DIY vintage beverage rack
- Crafting paper chandeliers
- Designing custom bathroom storage boxes and cabinets
- Revamping vintage kitchen accessories
- Making a plaster floral candle holder
- Reusing old windows as photo frames
- Making a candle pillar from aromatic cinnamon sticks
How big is the crafting industry?
In 2020, the global arts and crafts market was worth around $41 billion. Some of the biggest producers in the market were Paper Mate, Faber-Castell, and Pilot-Pen.
What handmade items are in high demand?
Based on the statistics from the fashion industry, the US apparel market was worth $368 billion in 2019.
Moreover, with the growth of the second-hand market (which is forecast to hit $51 billion by 2023), it is natural to assume that people want more fashion-related items.
So, besides handmade fashion apparel, this year, the trendiest DIY items include:
- Homemade soaps and bath bombs
- Raw materials for crafts and jewelry
- Lip balms
- Natural pet snacks
- Hand-drawn stickers
- Fashion apparel
- Handmade scrapbooks and journals
- Personalized pillows
- Inscribed glasses
- Wooden signs
What crafts were trending in 2020?
There were many amazing crafts trending last year. This included:
- Constellation crafts (starry scenes, wall stencils, room decor)
- Quilt patterns
- Beginner crafting kits
- Stained glass crafts (one of the most popular DIY trends in 2020)
- Art therapy activities (for example “paint-by-the-numbers”)
- Environmentally-friendly crafts
- Crafts in different shades of green
What crafts make the most money?
By making these crafts and selling them on the internet, you can make a decent profit. Some of our favorites include:
- Stylish head wraps
- Handbags and purses
- Bracelets and other jewelry pieces
- Wedding signs
- Customized onesies
- Beanies and hats
- Plush toys
- Plant pots
Overall, these stats demonstrate that the industry is still booming, despite the coronavirus pandemic and the lockdowns. What’s more, every generation is turning to DIYs and crafts!
Hopefully, you found these DIY statistics helpful and inspiring. Don’t waste your time, hurry and start your very first project!